RELATIONAL DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
(B.Tech 5th Semester,2052)
Time : 3 Hours Maximum Marks : 60
NOTE:- This paper consist of Three Sections. Section A is compulsory. Do any Four questions from
Section B and any two questions from Section C
Section-A Marks : 20
1(a) What are the major differences between a file processing system and a DBMS ?
(b) Explain the difference between Physical and Logical Data Independence.
(c) Wha tare the main functions of a data base administrator ?
(d) Explain the difference between a weak and strong entity set.
(e) Define the concept of Aggegation with the help of example.
(f) Describe the difference between Relation nad Relation scheme.
(g) What are the main advantages of Distributed database ?
(h) What are the various types of locks available to Control Concurrency ?
(i) What do you understand by Serializable Schedule ?
(j) Why are three types of data Decription needed?
Section-B Marks:5 Each
2. Explain why 4 NF as a normal form more desirable than BCNF with the help of example.
3. Explain the term DML with the help of suitable example.
4. Discuss the Secuirty Model to provide Authorization to various Authenticated Users.
5. What are triggers ? How can they help in bulding Robust Database?
6. Discuss various Data Recovery Techniques in brief.
Section-C Marks : 10 Each
7. Explain Merge-Join Algrothim with the help of suitable example.
8. Consider the following Relational Database:
Empolee (EMP_Name, Street, City)
Works(EMP_Name, Company_Name, Salary)
For each of the following quires, give an expression in the Relational Algebra, Tuple Realtional Calculus.
(a) Find the names of all Employees who work for Satyam.
(b) Find the names and cities of Residence who work for Satyam.
(c) Find the names of all Employees who live in the same city as the company for which they work.
(d) Find the names of all Employees who do not work for Satyam.
(e) Find the names of all Employees who live in the same city and on the same street as do their Managers.
9. Writ short note on the following:
(a) 4 GL's forms Management and Report Writers.
(b) Object Oriented Databases.