Panjab University Chandigarh
Personal Computing Software
Paper : BCA 1st Year
Time :3 Hrs.
M.Marks : 90
Note : Attempt five questions in all. select one question each from Sections A-D and the entire compulsory question
1. (a) Define Hardware and software. Give one example of each.
(b) What are the various units for memory storage ? Explain their meanings.
(c) What is the difference between a compiler and a interpreter ? Give example of each.
(d) Define Booting, Warm Booting and Cold Booting.
(e) What are the various components of a window ? Draw a labelled diagram.
(f) Write steps to create a new toolbar in Ms-word.
(g) Explain the concept of cell referencing in MS-Excel.
(h) What are the advantages of presentation packages for students ?
(i) Distinguish between Internet and WWW. 2*9=18
Section - A
2. (a) Explain the classification of computer based on size and architecture.
(b) Explain secondary storage devices. 9,9
3. (a) What is booting sequences of MS-DOS for booting from a HDD ? Explain all steps.
(b) Explain the following MS-DOS commands. Give their syntax along with commonly used switches also ATTRIB, XCOPY, PROMPT. 9,9
Section - B
4. (a) What are the files which are used for configuring the system in MS-DOS ? Explain the purpose of each and the various commands used in them ?
(b) What are Batch Files ? Create a Batch to make a Menu Driven Utility for Basic DOS commands. 10,8
5. (a) How are Files managed through windows ?
(b) Compare the features of Notepad and Wordpad.
(c) What is the significance of OLE ? 6,8,4
Section - C
6. (a) What is Mail Merge feature ? How is it used for creating documents and envelopes ?
(b) Explain the features of a presentation package. 10,8
7. (a) Explain the various Page Formatting features available in word processing package.
(b) Explain the following features :
(i) Auto Text
(ii) Auto Correct
(iii) Headers and Footers
(iv) Borders and Shading 10,8
Section - D
8. (a) Explain Database Management in spreadsheet package.
(b) Write a detailed note on evolution of Internet services provided on Internet. 9,9
9. (a) Explain the following:
(i) Chart Feature
(b) Write a detailed note on Frontpage. Explain its components and steps for installation. 10,8