Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore 560 012, INDIA
Applications are invited for admission to the following (i) Research Program [Ph D / M Sc (Engg)] (ii) Course Program [ME/M Tech/M Des] (iii) Integrated Ph D Program and (iv) External Registration Program (Ph D only) at the Institute.
Eligibility criteria, specialization, areas of research and the other details are available at our website http://www.iisc.ernet.in/admissions. Candidates who have not yet completed their qualifying examinations and expect to complete all the requirements for the degree (including all examinations, project dissertation, viva-voce etc.) before July 31, 2010, are also eligible to apply.
( i) RESEARCH PROGRAM [Ph D/M Sc(Engg)]
Ph D in Science: Astronomy & Astrophysics, Biochemistry, Ecological Sciences, High Energy Physics, Inorganic & Physical Chemistry, Materials Research, Mathematics, Microbiology & Cell Biology, Molecular Biophysics, Molecular Reproduction, Development & Genetics, Neuroscience, Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Solid State & Structural Chemistry.
M Sc(Engg) and Ph D in Engineering: Aerospace Engineering, Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Automation, Earth Sciences, Electrical Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Design & Technology, Instrumentation, Management Studies, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Product Design & Manufacturing, Sustainable Technologies, and Supercomputer Education & Research.
Ph D in Interdisciplinary Programs: Chemical Biology, Mathematical Sciences, Nanoengineering for Integrated Systems, Nanoscience & Nanotechnology.
Applicants possessing minimum second class in the following are eligible to apply:
(1) Bachelor’s or Master's degree in an appropriate field of Engineering/Technology/Architecture; or Master’s degree in Science in an appropriate field/Agriculture/Biotechnology, Architecture; or MBBS; or M Pharma; or M V Sc, or Master’s degree in German Language; or in Economics, Geography, Social Work, Psychology, Management, Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science/ Application as applicable to the respective departments.
Qualifying in one of the following appropriate Tests (with validity as on 1st of August 2010) is mandatory for the candidates applying for Ph D in Science, Interdisciplinary programs and M Sc(Engg): CSIR-UGC NET for JRF; or UGC-NET for JRF; or DBT JRF or ICMR JRF; or JEST; or NBHM; or IISc Entrance Test; or GATE. This is not applicable to the candidates who possess a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology/ Management (post BE/B Tech) who wish to apply for a Ph D in Engineering.
IISc Entrance Test is conducted in Atmospheric Sciences, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Ecological Sciences, Mathematics, Management Studies, Materials Science.
(2) Candidates with BE / B Tech or equivalent degree who may not have qualified in any of the above mentioned National Entrance Tests will also be considered for the Ph D program in Engineering. Short listing for interview of such candidates is based on their academic performance in the qualifying degree (upto 3rd year in BE / B Tech), and their performance in 10th and 12th /PUC examinations.
(ii) COURSE PROGRAM [ME/ M Tech/M Des]
(a) ME in Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Microelectronics, Signal Processing, Systems Science & Automation, and Telecommunication Engineering.
Minimum second class in Bachelor's degree in appropriate field of Engineering/ Technology; or Post B Sc AMIE or equivalent degree in Engineering with valid GATE score.
Selection is based on valid GATE score only.
(b) M Tech in Electronics Design & Technology, Computational Science, Climate Science, Transportation & Infrastructure Engineering and Instrumentation.
Minimum second class in the qualifying examination with valid GATE score.
(1) Electronics Design and Technology: Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology with Electronics as one of the subjects of study; or Post B Sc AMIE or equivalent in Engineering; or Master's degree in Physics (with Electronics as special subject) and 2 years experience in Electronics hardware.
(2) Computational Science: Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology; or Master’s in Computer Application, or Master's degree in Science (strong mathematical and programming background is required).
(3) Climate Science: Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology; or Master's degree in Physical Sciences.
(4) Transportation & Infrastructure Engineering: Bachelor's degree in Engineering /Technology; or Master's degree in Science (with a background in Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Geology).
(5) Instrumentation: Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology in Instrumentation/Instrumentation & Control Engineering/ Electronics & Instrumentation/Electronics; or Master's degree in Science with specialization in Instrumentation/Electronics.
Selection for (1), (2) , (3) and (4) is based on an aptitude test and interview subsequent to short-listing based on valid GATE score and for (5) based on valid GATE score only.
(c) M DES in Product Design & Engineering
Minimum second class at Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology / Design / Architecture or Post B Sc AMIE or equivalent degree in Engineering including Architecture with valid GATE/CEED scores.
Selection is based on a Design Aptitude Test and interview subsequent to short-listing based on valid GATE / CEED scores.
(iii) INTEGRATED Ph D PROGRAM
(1) Biological, (2) Chemical, (3) Physical and (4) Mathematical Sciences
First-class in B Sc degree under 10+2+3 years system as indicated below for the various disciplines.
Biological Sciences: B Sc degree or equivalent in Physical, Chemical or Biological Sciences (including Pharmaceutical, Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences).
Chemical Sciences: B Sc degree or equivalent with Chemistry as one of the main subjects associated with Mathematics at PUC (Plus 2) level.
Physical Sciences: B Sc degree or equivalent with Physics as a main subject.
Mathematical Sciences: B. Sc degree or equivalent with Mathematics as one of the subjects or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology.
All the candidates should qualify in IISc Entrance Test scheduled for 25th April 2010. The short-listing of candidates for interview is based on performance in the IISc Entrance Test.
(iv) EXTERNAL REGISTRATION PROGRAM (Ph D only)
It is a Sponsored Research program for working professionals from (1) R&D Organizations/Industries and (2) for Faculty members from Engineering, Agricultural, Pharmaceutical, Veterinary, Medical Colleges/ Universities, recognized by the appropriate government agencies.
Ph D in Science: All the Science departments as indicated in (i) except High Energy Physics and Solid State & Structural Chemistry.
Ph D in Engineering: All the Engineering departments as indicated in (i).
Qualifications remain the same as for the regular candidates. Apart from that the candidates should have two years of
continuous service in a permanent position in the current organisation • Age: NOT higher than 40 years as on 01.04.2010.
Desirable: Qualifying in one of the tests;IISc Entrance Test,CSIR-UGC NET for JRF,UGC-NET for JRF, DBT
JRF,ICMR JRF, GATE,NBHM, etc.
Selection is based on individual’s performance in the interview to be conducted at the IISc.
Reservation for SC/ST/Physically-Handicapped(PH) and Kashmiri-Migrant(KM) candidates: As per the Government of India regulations. (Grade/Class of qualifying examination is relaxed to a “pass class” for SC/ST candidates).
Scholarships: All the regular students who join the Institute are eligible for IISc scholarship / fellowship from CSIR/ UGC/ ICMR/ MHRD/ AICTE/ NBHM/ as the case may be. Scholarships from GE / INFOSYS / IBM / HP / TATA / PHILIPS /BELL LAB/ BRISTOL MYERS SQUIBB/JOHN ARGYRIS/ GRANTHAM/ MICROSOFT etc., are also available for meritorious students.
How to apply:
The Application Forms for Research, Course and Integrated Ph D programs may be obtained by any of the following three methods:
(1) Against a cash payment of Rs.700/- from select CANARA BANK Branches$ .
(2) Send your request for application form with 2 address slips (stickers), and a demand draft for Rs.700/- for general category (Rs.350/- for SC/ST/PH categories, along with a copy of an appropriate certificate) to the Deputy Registrar (Academic), Admissions Unit, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560 012. The DD must be drawn in favour of “Registrar, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore”.
(3) Online application – Online submission of application may be made by accessing the IISc website www.iisc.ernet.in/admissions w.e.f. 08.02.2010. Online application fee is Rs.600/- for general category and Rs.300/- for SC/ST/PH categories.
For External Registration Program - Candidates should write to the Deputy Registrar (Academic), Admissions Unit, IISc, Bangalore - 560 012, enclosing a DD for Rs.1500/- drawn in favour of “Registrar, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore”.
Last date for issue of Application forms (select Canara Bank Branches and IISc) and closure of website for submission of online application: 17.03.2010
Last date for receipt of completed Application forms both offline and online (hard copy): 22.03.2010
IISc Entrance Test: 25.04.2010
For more details, visit: www.iisc.ernet.in