For Doctoral Studies at St. John's College, University of Cambridge
Dr Manmonhan Singh, the Prime Minister of India, is a graduate and Honorary Fellow of St John’s College. He is widely acknowledged as the architect of the economic reforms that have helped propel India onto the World Stage. In honour of Dr Singh St John’s College, the University of Cambridge launched the Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships in Delhi last year. These awards will enable academically outstanding Indian students to come to St. John’s College, University of Cambridge to study for doctoral degrees in subjects like Science & Technology, Economics and Social Sciences.
Applications in Aerospace Engineering and Energy Studies will be of particular interest
The applicant should be:
* An Indian national with a valid Indian passport and currently based in India
* Below 35 years of age as on 31 December 2008
* Not already had significant exposure to UK education or received UK government funding.
* Should hold a Master’s (postgraduate) degree from a reputed/recognised India university/institution with a First Class award (UG and PG) in the relevant subject/field
* Evidence of leadership qualities (to be assessed from personal statements e.g. extracurricular activities and/or evidence of having made a difference to the country/society/participation in symposia in the relevant subject, or peer reviewed publication in the area.)
* Keen to pursue and should have identified a full time Doctoral Research degree from the University of Cambridge commencing by September/October 2009
* Fluent in spoken and written English
* Able to fulfil any other admission criteria laid down by the university.
Value of the Award
The scholarships are fully funded:
* Academic fees
* International airfare
* Monthly stipend to cover living expenses
* UK Visa
It is the responsibility of the applicants to identify a suitable Doctoral programme and supervisor at the University of Cambridge, apply for a place for September/October 2009 and secure admission.
1. Identify a suitable doctoral programme and supervisor at the University of Cambridge.
2. Applicants to visit the Board of Graduate Studies (BoGs) website and make formal application to the University at the same time as to the Dr Man Mohan Singh Scholarships.
3. Applicants to select St John’s College as their first choice College on their BoGs application form.
4. Applicants to indicate on their BoGs form that they are applying for the Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships, but also to complete the section applying for funding from the University.
5. Apply for the Scholarship on the prescribed format by 31 December 2008 and submit it to the British Council. Click here to download the application form (Word) and (Pdf)
• Only those applicants who get an offer of admission at St John’s College will be eligible for the award of the Scholarship.
• Candidates should NOT approach St John’s College directly at this stage.
Candidates for these scholarships are selected through a process of short listing from the applications received by the British Council, followed by personal interviews, which will be held in New Delhi .
Subsequent to the interviews the selection committee identifies the required number of candidates for the awards. The decision of the selection committee will be final. Selection results will be communicated within a month following the interview.
Pre-departure briefings, UK visa and travel arrangements for the selected candidates will be co-ordinated by the British Council.
* The British Council will acknowledge receipt of applications through the emails provided on the application form. For this purpose, applicants are requested to provide their latest email ids. However, the British Council will not be responsible for failure of on-line delivery.
* The British Council will further contact only the short-listed candidates inviting them for interviews. Applicants are requested not to contact the British Council office directly.
* Short-listed candidates will be interviewed in New Delhi in April 2009. Candidates will be expected to make their own travel and accommodation arrangements.
For further information and clarification please contact:
17, Kasturba Gandhi Marg
New Delhi 110001, India
Tel +91 (0)11 23711401 (extn. 272)
Fax +91 (0) 11 23710717
Direct tel: +91 (0)11 41497272
The deadline for submission is 31 December 2008
For more details, visit: www.britishcouncil.org