M.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION
May 2003 (First Year)
(Paper - 1)
510 - ENGLISH LITERATURE FORM CHAUCER TO 1660
May 2003 (First Year)
Time 3 Hours
Maximum 100 Marks
Attempt FIVE questions in Section-A and THREE questions in Section-B
I. Annotate any FIVE of, the following passages choosing atleast TWO from each group.
GROUP -A (5x8 = 40)
1. (a) And specially, from every shires ende
Of England, to Canterbury they wende,
The hooly blissful mortir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.
(b) Sweet Thames run softly, till I end my song.
2. (a) Two loves I have of comfort and depair,
Which like two spirits do suggest
(b) Two graves must hide thine and my corse,
If one might, death were no divorce.
3. (a) Her world is brazen, the poets only deliver a golden.
(b) So as Amphion was said to move stones with his poetry to build Thebes, and Orpheus to be listened to by beasts-indeed stony and beastly people.
4. (a) For a lie faces God, and shrinks
(b) TIC that seeketh to be eminent amongst able men hath a great task but that is never good for the public.
5. (a) 0, Faustus , leave these frivolous demands
Which strike a terror to my fainting soul.
(b) or let this hour be but
A year, a month, a week, a natural day
That Faustus may repent and save his soul.
6. (a) Keep nothing that is transitory about you
(b) Here she is come down on your knees and wriggle
Attempt the following in about 200 words :
7. (a) Write a brief note on the pictorial qualities of "Prothalamion".
(b) Write an appreciation of Andrew Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress".
8. (a) What kind of world does Sir Thomas More project in his "Utopia" ?
(b) Write on the revenge theme in "The Spanish Tragedy".
SECTION - B (3 x 20 = 60)
Answer any THREE of the following questions:
9. (a) Write a note on Chaucer's art of characterization in "The Prologue".
(b) Consider Wyatt and Surrey as Sonnetteers.
10. (a) How does Philip Sidney, prove the superiority of poetry to history and philosophy ? (or)
(b) How will you account foir the enduring charm and popularity of More's "Utopia" ?
11. (a) Trace the various stages of Faustus, damnanion
(b) Account for the popularity of the "The Spanish Tragedy".
12. (a) John Donne as a love poet,
(b) Bacon's essays as 'dispersed meditations'
13. (a) Write an essay on Philip Sidney's achievement and influence as a critic. (OR)
(b) Attempt an essay on the the 'Dark Lady' of Shakespeare's Sonnets.